Thursday 9 March 2017

Diddy Wants People to Rap Notorious B.I.G. Lyrics for New Social Media Campaign



Diddy has big plans to celebrate the legacy of the late Notorious B.I.G.

Diddy (born Sean Combs, later became Puff Daddy and reverted to P. Diddy, the nickname bestowed on him by his big bro), launched a social media campaign that will remember the influential rapper on the 20th death anniversary of his death.

The 47-year-old Harlem-born hip-hop star and entrepreneur invites followers to rap their favorite Biggie verses and post it on social media with the hashtag #WeMissYouBIG. The clips that come in will get chopped up and edited into “something special,” he enthuses.

To get things rolling Diddy shared a highlight reel of the artist, who he describes as the "greatest rapper" of them all.
“Today is March 9th. Twenty years ago today we lost the greatest rapper of all time, The Notorious B.I.G. We’re celebrating his life through his music and through his legacy today,” Diddy says in a video posted on Instagram.

Separately, Remy Ma, Fat Joe, Trey Songz, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, The Dream, Syd and others will pay tribute to Biggie as BET Networks presents a day-long celebration of the rap icon’s life and works.

Biggie (born Christopher Wallace) was fatally wounded in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles at the age of 24.
R.I.P. B.I.G.: Lyrical Tributes to Biggie Smalls

Twenty years ago today on March 9, 1997, the world lost one of the greatest rappers of all time in The Notorious B.I.G. Though he died at the almost impossibly young age of 24, the MC who came live from Bedford-Stuyvesant left a lasting mark on the rap game with two iconic, landmark albums -- his 1994 debut Ready to Die and his double-album follow-up, Life After Death, ironically released two weeks after his own death -- as well as the crew project Conspiracy with his group Junior M.A.F.I.A.

Over the course of his short time in the spotlight, Biggie helped cement the careers of Puff Daddy, Craig Mack and Jay Z, shepherded the introduction of Lil Kim, Mase, The LOX and his wife Faith Evans, and delivered on iconic collaborations with the likes of Method Man ("The What"), Bone Thugs-N-Harmony ("Notorious Thugs") and Jay ("Brooklyn's Finest"), along the way proving over and over again that he was one of rap's most vivid and dexterous storytellers.

So it's no surprise that, over the course of the 20 years since his untimely passing, Christopher Wallace's' name pops up in dozens of rappers' lyrics, whether they're comparing themselves to one of the greatest to ever do it or shouting out a legend. Here, Billboard has compiled a list of songs by Big's collaborators and admirers alike, all of which pay tribute to the rap phenomenom himself.
"I'll Be Missing You"
Puff Daddy feat. Faith Evans and 112
"Seems like yesterday we used to rock the show / I laced the track, you locked the flow / So far from hangin' on the block for dough / Notorious, they got to know / That life ain't always what it seem to be / Words can't express what you mean to me / Even though you're gone, we still a team / Through your family, I'll fulfill your dream"

"Letter to B.I.G."
Jadakiss feat. Faith Evans
"Dear Christopher Frank White Wallace / Yeah, it's your boy 'Kiss, I just want to holla / In your memory I keep the Coogi in my closet / Kangol on the rack, a fresh pair of Wallies"

"Meanwhile I'ma keep it so on my lil plans / And you might bump into a few of my lil mans / Up there steppin' with God / Down here, Mister Cee in BK is still reppin' you hard / T'yanna so pretty, CJ turned into lil Biggie / Just a little lighter but so witty / On your born day, we get the highest / Groovy still the best with the garments, he keep me the flyest"

"Doing It Way Big"
Lil Kim
"Anything we do we do it B.I.G. / Every move we make is always B.I.G. / And the No. 1 rule, think B.I.G. / And the best rapper's still B.I.G."

"Too Soon"
​Joell Ortiz
"I remember how I felt when your tape dropped / Like how the hell I can't find a song that ain't hot? / Strong voice, your delivery is unmatched / Your metaphors made it sure that you run rap / Gucci sweater with the Kangol hats / When you was clubbin' lumberjack with the hat to match / When you was thuggin', to this day I listen back to your tracks"

"We'll Always Love Big Poppa"
The LOX
Styles P: "Frank White lyrically, moved n---as spiritually / Made you wanna get a cup, fill it up with Hennessy / Front in the club and light a dutch where the women be / If you seen the show then I know you felt the energy"

Jadakiss: "It make me look back to where he took rap / Dude brought the East back, y'all better believe that / He never had a warning, one more chance"

Sheek Louch: "Nearly broke down four times writin' this verse / Filled with wild madness and sadness, it hurts / But ain't no need to cry, 'cause right now where you at / Is more laced than any place a millionaire lived at"

"Second Round K.O."
Canibus
"That s--t was the worst rhyme I ever heard in my life / ‘Cause the greatest rapper of all time died on March 9th / God bless his soul, rest in peace, kid / It's because of him now at least I know what beef is"

"The City Is Mine"
Jay Z feat. Blackstreet
"I'm the focal, point like Biggie in his prime / On the low, though, shh, the city is mine"

"B.K. Anthem"
Foxy Brown
"I grew up in the thoroughest borough, B.K. / Where B.I.G. had everybody rockin D.K."

"What More Can I Say"
Jay Z
"I'm not a biter, I'm a writer for myself and others / I say a B.I.G. verse, I'm only bigging up my brother / Bigging up my borough, I'm big enough to do it / I'm that thorough, plus I know my own flow is foolish"
source:http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/7717354/diddy-launches-social-media-campaign-notorious-big

No comments:

Post a Comment