Friday 24 February 2017

The Harshest Truth A Student Ever Taught The Teacher

Leeon Goldman, teacher for over 20 years...and loving it

It was my first year teaching.

It was Grade 1 and in the middle of the semester a student had transferred from a different school. This child had major issues and I made it a point to work with this student and turn him around. For 6 months I dedicated myself to this child. I went out of my way to differentiate the learning for him, support him emotionally and showered him with love.

One day we were having an informal session and doing some arts and crafts. The new student went over with scissors and completely destroyed another students work. I must have been up late and lost it with this student. I yelled at him and gave him some punishment. He didn't speak to me for the rest of the day. It was Friday with a long weekend ahead.

I was so upset with myself. On my drive home I kept thinking of how I had blown it. How all my efforts to harness the positive energy in this child will now be lost. I resolved to apologize to him on the next day back at school.

Later that evening the doorbell rang and standing at my front door was my dear student with his mother. I was sure that she was going to give me a good telling off but instead the boy reached out and said "we baked this for you...have a good weekend." I thanked them very much and wished them a pleasant break.

There was an envelope on top of the cake. I opened it and read the following words.

"Dear Mr Goldman, I love you...I hope you still love me too."

I am forever indebted to this student who taught me the power of love. That the only way to affect someone is when you genuinely invest your love and care into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment